Integrative Pain Management (IPM) is a person-centered treatment model based on the restoration of function, health, and overall wellness to improve the quality of life for the patient. The model is guided by the evidence that decision-making, which involves the health care provider and the patient, will lead to the development of personalized therapeutic options. As a result, the treatment plan is tailor-made for each patient.
What is integrated?
Integrative Pain Management integrates different pharmacological and nonpharmacological therapies to deal with varying treatment needs. Most of the scientific data on IPM comes from acupuncture, massage therapy, mindfulness, and yoga studies, which support the effectiveness of hypnosis, acupuncture, and music therapy in reducing pain for cancer patients. Although mindfulness meditation, yoga, and massage therapy may not reduce pain, they have been found to relieve anxiety and mood changes.
The IPM program at PCC addresses the patient’s needs in the following areas:
- Patient-centered diagnosis and treatment: general health assessment and individualized treatment planning.
- Nutrition and healthy eating: choice of anti-inflammatory foods such as green leafy vegetables, fish, and legumes.
- Activity-centered care: exercising to help decrease inflammation, increase mobility, and reduce overall pain levels.
- Sleep hygiene: creating both bedroom environment and daily routines to promote consistent and uninterrupted sleep.
- Mental health care: wellness skills, resiliency building in individual or group settings
- Proper use of pain medications: taking medications regularly as prescribed, even when you don’t feel pain.
- Proper use of pain procedures: steroid injections, heat-based remedies, and other interventional therapies.
- Proper use of supplemental help: health supplements, vitamins, and assistive devices
- Biofeedback techniques: help the patient learn to control pain.
- Self-management: educate patients on self-management skills.
Book Your Appointment
Every treatment is one step closer to reaching your full potential.